The Rancho Mirage Writers Festival is a world-class gathering of the finest writers who contribute to the intellectual vitality of our time. The City of Rancho Mirage, California, welcomes 40 authors and 1,000 readers from around the globe to the Rancho Mirage Library and Observatory each January. Jamie Kabler, who wanted to bring a premier intellectual event to the Coachella Valley, founded the Festival in 2014 which has been described as “Coachella for the Brain.”
Our mission is to bring our readers a rich and diverse program with topics ranging from politics, history, humor, and health to genre and literary fiction. Our writers are all experts in their field, distinguished historians, respected journalists and gifted story-tellers. Many are recipients of the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award and the Man Booker Prize as well as New York Times bestsellers.
RANCHO MIRAGE LIBRARY AND OBSERVATORY
A Cultural Center for Our Community
The Writers Series is held at the award-winning Rancho Mirage Library and Observatory. The library ranks at the top of California libraries in check-outs per hour, books added annually, total annual visits and total check-outs per capita for children and adults. The Library is the home of the Festival, as well as the site for our other community events, including the Book Club, the Writers Series, and The Best Movies from Books.
The Rancho Mirage Observatory, dedicated in March 2018, is an exciting addition to our community. This first of its kind research level facility in the Coachella Valley will provide an opportunity for experts and novices alike to explore our universe — from right here in Rancho Mirage! This remarkable scientific and educational project will be in the capable hands of astronomer Eric McLaughlin, who will guide its use as a dramatic tool to further the Library’s mission — making lifelong learning available with its many possibilities for all of our residents and everyone in the Coachella Valley.
Heart of the Palm Springs Valley
Nestled between the Santa Rosa Mountains to the south and the snow-capped San Jacinto range on the west, Rancho Mirage is one of the most beautiful desert cities in the world. Presidents, corporate executives and Hollywood celebrities have designated this enclave the preferred luxury destination in the Palm Springs Valley.
- Southern California resort city
- Dubbed “Playground of Presidents”
- Beautiful weather, 65–80 degrees throughout January
- A wide range of fabulous restaurants and world-class resorts
- Over 200 golf courses, and the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, the second largest tennis stadium in America.
- The Palm Springs Art Museum, The Galen, The Mccallum Theatre, Sunnylands Center and Gardens
- The Palm Springs International Film Festival, and Modernism Week
WHO WE ARE
Founder, Chair and President
Director of Programming
Lead Angel Concierge
Lead Author Concierge
Board of Directors
- Jamie Kabler, Chairman and President
- Susan L. Davis, Vice President
- Helene Galen, Secretary
- Madeline Redstone, Treasurer
- Mayor Emeritus Iris Smotrich
- Mayor Emeritus G Dana Hobart
- Aaron Espinosa, Executive Director
- David Bryant, Executive Director Emeritus
- Legal Services Donated by Law Offices of Quintanilla & Associates
Download the Rancho Mirage Writers Festival financial statements